Thursday, September 10, 2009

Do You Love God

When I'm asked the question, "Do you love God?" My immediate response is always, "Of course I do." Alot of times a follow-up question is, "Do you love yourself?" Now, that's a probem question. If you say "Yes" are you then considered conceited? Likewise if you say, "No" are you considered a poor soul in need of therapy?

The last few days I've been pondering that very question. I don't like at all the answers that I got.

Yes, I do love God, and yes I do love myself. My problem is that I've actually loved myself more than God; and that my friend, is not a good thing. If I truly loved God with my WHOLE heart, I would never have abused my body the way that I have.

I have loved McDonald's more than I have loved God; that is a sin. Not figuratively, but literally. I justify going there just in case my niece is working. I love seeing her, but do I have to buy something to eat just to say hi?

For me it is food. For someone else it could be work, TV, computer, friends, etc. Anything that keeps us from truly putting God first, it is a sin.

I've put my addiction before God. It's a sad truth, and I have to face up to my sin, and start to live right. Putting God first, me second and everything else that follows in it's proper order. I'm praying that the Holy Spirit will give me the power that I need to overcome this. For me it is food. For someone else it could be work, TV, computer, friends, etc. Anything that keeps us from truly putting God first, it is a sin.

I desperately want to answer the question, "Do you love God?" by saying, "Yes, I love God with my WHOLE heart, and I love myself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment